[meteorite-list] Meteorites on the moon

From: Bob Evans <bobe5531_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Aug 31 23:54:17 2006

Can you imagine hunting meteorites on the moon?
Crustless Diogenites, Eucrites, Howardites strewnabout everywhere. Pristine
Pallasites unaltered by atmospheric pressure or humidity sticking out of the
lunar dust like a gem.
How excited Nasa was when they found one on Mars. I'm surprised there wasn't
a manless mission planned to go to the moon to extract and return some of
these pristine meteorites utilizing a rover. Obviously it would be
tremendously expensive, but, compared to what is spent on the mars mission
as well as expeditions in the arctic its a no - brainer.
The moon is a meteorite goldmine. 100% impact rates, craters everywhere
pinpointing the spot of impact.
I wonder if Nasa found one gram out of the relatively miniscule amount of
specimens returned from the moon to be of non-lunar origin.
I believe if we want to make monumental advancements in Meteoritics we need
to take advantage of the abundance on the moon. Who knows what never before
seen meteorite types are laying up there right now.
What do you think, Mike? You don't have to worry about any Norwegian export
laws.