[meteorite-list] FW: New Zealand meteor + sonic boom

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Aug 29 05:30:12 2006

Cross posted from another group.....

-----Original Message-----
From: meteorobs-bounces_at_meteorobs.org
[mailto:meteorobs-bounces_at_meteorobs.org] On Behalf Of Graham Palmer
Sent: 29 August 2006 06:21
To: meteorobs_at_meteorobs.org
Subject: (meteorobs) New Zealand meteor + sonic boom

Hi all. A large meteor exploaded over the North Island of New Zealand
yesterday at 0939 UTC. It was seen widely and caused windows and doors
rattle as it passed overhead. I don't know of any video of this event,
but
will post it if comes available. I had been out observing the moon and
Spica
until shortly before. I was working at the computer with the back door
of
the house open, when there was what seemed like a sudden gust of wind
that
shut the door. Windows rattled with the pressure wave of the sonic boom,

then I heard a sound similar to a jet passing quickly overhead at low
level.
By the time I got outside, there was no visible evidence in the sky, but

reports say it was VERY bright and broke into at least three pieces
before
fading.

Wow, what a ripper!

Graham Palmer.