[meteorite-list] How does regolith get stoned?

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Aug 27 08:21:39 2006

Darren asked:

I'm wondering how lunar/asteroidal regolith becomes reprocessed into solid
brecciated stones. Is it reburied to a depth that heat and pressure do the job,
or maybe "cold welding" plays a role?

Rob McC responded:

Probably impact pressures from meteorites. I suppose heat during
the process may be involved ... I would imagine impact melting ...

Hello Darren, Rob, and List,

1. fragmentation, mixing, comminution by impacts
2. production of near-surface fragmental regolith
3. lithification of this regolith layer by further impacts => production of regolith
    breccias
4. further reworking, fragmentation, lithification by even more impacts

Cheers,

Bernd