[meteorite-list] Astronomers Lean Toward Eight Planets

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Aug 24 00:39:52 2006

Hello Sterling:
As TNOs are already a term in science lit, we're covered (and cryosilicates
doesn't throw Pluto a bone). Or KBOs work too, as mentioned. Frigophile
might amuse some, but as you say, it is technically sound, too. Here's an
aside on Uranus: it's the only Greek-named planet of the nine.
Phonetically, it's ciphered from the Greek "Ouranos" (???????). Not from
the god Caelus (the corresponding Latinate root for a Jovian planet). Some
difference is fitting; gaseous Uranus' axis uniquely bent over.

Best wishes,
Doug

P.d. Silicates? Best to shelve this all until New Horizons splashes Pluto
across our little blue dot's airwaves so everyone can give him a trial by
jury?

P.d.d. Besides meaning cold, Frigg is the Norse Goddess of the Love and the
Sky - in the cold Norselands. If US slang sullies that, it's sad. We could
have the US version cryophile, then. But if US kids normally sleeping in
class become motivated not with Uranus="Your Highness" and Frigo=cold and
Phile=Lover, I don't mind. Odin was Frigophilic. The counterpart of Frigg
in warmer climates is Jupiter's partner, Juno Regina. And despite your
misgivings, Frigg has a 69 km diameter minor planet already, which may be
the best hope for a parent asteroid pairing for the enigmatic silicated iron
IAB "inclusions" / Winonaites (A&A v. 393, p. 1065 (2002)) !

Sterling wrote:

"the Latinate term for "cold" has unfortunate
associations in American-English slang, where "frig" is used as
a not-too-polite euphemism for an old Anglo-Saxon verb with a
similar sound. It would be the source of as much (more) classroom
giggling as the pronunciation of "Uranus.""