[meteorite-list] Size Counts concerning Pluto?

From: Larry Lebofsky <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 23 12:03:57 2006

Hi all:

I have been trying to stay out of the recent discussion until something really
happens at the IAU. For me, I am concerned with it becoming too personal.

However, two things. When we (DPS) spoke to Rick Binzel last week, the IAU
committee (Rick was on it) was concerned that world opinion would be that the
US (ie Lowell Obs) would want to keep Pluto as a plane because is was
discovered by an American.

Also, if you look at the original counterproposal (being the dominant object)
which will get rid of Pluto as a planet, it was proposed by a group that
included 2 from Uruguay, 5 from France, 2 Brazil, 3 Italy, 1 Chech., 1
Argentina, 1 Mexico, 1 Russia, and 2 US. Not quite American dominated unless
you mean (North and SOuth America).

Larry

PS OPINION: No matter what ends up being the science behind defining a planet
(original definition gives us 5 since Earth was not a planet), Pluto, for
historical reasons, should remain a planet. OPINION: dwarf planet is a stupid
term and raises all sorts of misconceptions for kids, etc. Why not go with
size-challenged to be politically correct?

--
Dr. Larry A. Lebofsky
Senior Research Scientist