[meteorite-list] Astronomers Lean Toward Eight Planets

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Aug 22 21:46:29 2006

Hi, All,

    Give credit (here on the List anyway) to Darren, who
pointed out the confusion of terms days before the geologists
started squawking about having their word stolen to settle
somebody else's quarrel.

> "Plutonian object" was the least unpopular choice.

    I've been using the term "Plutonian" for worlds which
are largely a combination of two materials: silicates (rock)
and crystal-phase mineral volatiles (ice) here on the List
for a year and a half, but the geologists also use that term,
as in "plutonian process," and have been using the term
"plutonian" for almost two centuries to refer to any geological
process taking place or object formed at great depths in
the Earth, a usage so general and widespread that they are not
likely to be willing to give it up to the IAU and astronomers
just because they need a word and it was handy.

    The most correct technical term would be the jawbreaker
CRYOSILICATE object. It would apply to Pluto, Xena, and
Company, to the large satellites (Ganymede, Europa, Callisto,
Triton, Titan), and to the PLANET Ceres. Io and 2003EL61
would be altered Cryosilicate worlds that have lost their
volatiles by heating.

Sterling K. Webb