[meteorite-list] Planet Meteorite Mailing List

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Aug 20 04:10:46 2006

Hi, Geoff,

    Welcome to the...

    Yes, it really is The Meteorite List!

    There are usually a number of threads going at once, like
the talk at a a good party in a room full of people. I listen,
but I don't hear any. I figure everybody's busy, but if I'm
filling a void, well, it's because there IS a void.

    But I get your point...

    Let's see... There should be a raft of postings about
what the poster has for sale on eBay this week... Nope. At
least three offers of a trade from... Nope. Hmm.. If we
could only get two or even three pugnacious large-scale
meteorite dealers to quarrel bitterly with each other, that'd
be good for 30-50 postings.

    Nah, better not...

    It's the Dog Days of August. The dead slack bottom
of the year. Paris is deserted because every French person
in the known universe is on holiday. Most of humanity is
huddled in a dark air-conditioned place...

    I know I am.

    Ok.

    METEORITE QUESTIONS!!

    If Vesta is made a Dwarf Planet, then any meteorite from
Vesta, either directly chipped off Vesta, or by being chipped
off a Vestoid that was itself chipped off Vesta, etc., etc., is now
a PLANETARY METEORITE, like a Martian meteorite.

    Will that increase the value of a specimen of Vestan origin?

    Will Diogenites get pricier? Howardites? Eucrites?

    Does everybody who collected them get a free bump in
market appreciation?

    Is anybody thinking of buying up more Vestan meteorites
as just a good thing to get a stronger position in?

    Is that why the only other thread going is about IBITIRA,
a really pretty non-cumulate non-brecciated Stannern eucrite,
a chunk of the crust of a body that might well be designated
a planet?

    Have dealers already raised their prices in anticipation of that?

    Did I just tip them to do it, and should I shut up in case
they haven't figured that out yet?

    When the Dawn Mission gets to Vesta and does its science
will there be any isotopic signature that would allow a seller or
buyer of a specimen to determine that it really was from the
Dwarf Planet Vesta? Like the way the Viking gas data made it
possible to uniquely identify a Martian...

    And while we all know about Vesta as a source of metteorites
that exist in our collections, what about Ceres (the most likely
body to named a planet, I think)?

    The Dawn mission specifically states that one of the goals
of the mission is to look for evidence of such a link:

    "No meteorites have unmistakably come from Ceres. Possibly
the excavating events or dynamics that provided the HED meteorites
did not occur at Ceres, but also possibly, the reflectance spectrum
of the surface of Ceres is not indicative of its crustal rocks. Microwave
studies suggest that Ceres is covered with a dry clay, in contrast to
Vesta's basaltic dust layer that reflects its crustal composition. To
determine if Ceres-derived meteorites are in our collections and to
understand the origin of Ceres, we must travel there and obtain
spatially resolved spectra inside fresh craters. We need to determine
 the geologic context for the HED meteorites from Vesta, and search
for similar data for Ceres."
http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/science/why.asp

    Ceres is big. Ceres has, in the Hubble imagery, what could be
big impact craters that would have created as many or more meteorites
than whatever cratered Vesta and sent the HED's our way. Ceres is only
half an AU further away than Vesta. Ceresian meteorites if they get here,
should be almost as common as Vestan. There may be Ceresian meteorites
sitting in YOUR collection and you just don't know it. So,

    What meteorite type or group do you think is likely to be proved
as coming from Ceres once we get the data from Dawn?

    Gee, would probably be carbonaceous... When's the last time
one of THOSE fell?

    METEORITE list...

Sterling K. Webb