[meteorite-list] EVEN THE N. Y. TIMES HAS AN OPINION ON PLANETS

From: Larry Lebofsky <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Aug 19 19:06:40 2006

Sterling:

Well, much of the controversy started when that planetarium in New York found
that it could not fit Pluto into its display because it was too far from the
Sun to fit in the exhibit hall. There were a number of articles about this at
the time.

Beign a scientist I did a scientific poll (sort of, but at least the question
was not biased one way or the other): I polled the Saturday group of people in
my cardiac rehab class, so the only thing in common is have had heart problems
at one time, nearer to God (mostly retired, educations from not finishing high
school to people with multiple degrees (no astronomers) out of 14 people (not
including myself) all 14 thought it would be stupid to "demote" Pluto even if
it did not fit into the definition. Also, most of them were aware that the
planet was not named after the dog. Several of them were around at the time.

And Sterling, before you start on me, no, I do not know the statistical error
on the vote!