[meteorite-list] Planets Galore

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Aug 17 08:13:09 2006

As an Anthropologist and Sociologist
I find myself more interested in WHO
considers these changes in nomenclature
desirable and who considers them undesirable.
        As for myself, I consider sweeping changes
such as this highly undesirable. This fits in with
several elements dealing with human preferances,
which appear to be at least related clear back to
the Order level, as many parallels can be made
to Baboon preferences.
        The primary determinant to acceptance of change
appears to be most closely associated with aging. However,
at what age preferences remain open differ, at least among
humans - US dwellers specifically.
        For instance. Baboons in the later phases of life, particularly
the higher ranking males, will NOT eat new foods, even if the
troup moves (or is relocated) to an area or refuge where many
new and desirable foodstuffs are readily available.
        In the US, people will not try new foods after about the age
of 35. For instance, a Sushi restraint has nearly no hope of making
it among the older diners in the midwest, as most of the population
over 35 have never eaten sushi and, therefore, are not open to trying
it.
        However, such preferences are not limited to foodstuff, and
"new" or "adventurous" behavior is also limited. Music seems to be
one of the most rigid criteria, with preferences beginning at about
14 and lasting only until somewhere between 21 and 30ish. After
that, little "new" styles tend to be accepted and the individual will
forever drift toward the music of his/her "youth." In other things,
ranging from sports to toothpaste the more successful a person is
in a "stable" career, the less flexible they seem to be.
        Therefore, I will choose to view my total resentment of this
"planet" taxonomy revolution as being hogwash due to my long
term successfulness in my chosen fields. (But how do I then explain
my ever growing fascination with new interests????)
        Anyway, food for thought, even if you don't like sushi!
        Michael

--
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than
standing in a garage makes you a car.
--
"Is our children learning?"
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."