[meteorite-list] 'Plutons' Push Planet Total Up To 12-- MikeBrown's view

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 16 19:21:05 2006

Hi, Darren, List,

SIZE:
    Two satellites, Ganymede (5262 km) and Titan (5150 km),
are bigger than the planet Mercury (4878 km). Seven satellites
are bigger than Pluto (2320 km): Callisto (4800 km), Io (3630 km),
Our Moon (3474 km), Europa (3138 km) and Triton (2706 km),
in addition to Ganymede and Titan.

COMPOSITION:
    (I think) Ganymede, Callisto, Io, Europa and Triton
(and Ceres) are "Plutonic" bodies in composition. I suspect
Titan is also, but uniquely volatile rich (like all the Saturn
system). The Moon is clearly just doing its own thing...

NOMENCLATURE:
    Yes, many satellites are "planetary bodies," in the physical
compositional and size sense. They are "worlds," no doubt
about it. And I mean that literally; that's what I call'em: WORLDS.

    So, I organize my head thusly:
Planetary Bodies ("Worlds") that orbit the Sun are PLANETS.
Planetary Bodies ("Worlds") that orbit a Planet are SATELLITES.
Bodies that are too small, too irregular to be Planets are PARKING LOTS.

No, wait, that's not right! OK, try again:
Planetary Bodies ("Worlds") that orbit the Sun are PLANETS.
Planetary Bodies ("Worlds") that orbit a Planet are SATELLITES.
Bodies that are planetary in composition but too small and
too irregular to be Planets are PLANETOIDS, or as Chris'
everyday speakers of English call them, ROCKS. Doesn't
matter what they go 'round.

    I try to think ahead in shaping my definitions. I want
them to last. It's 2258. You're living on The Moon. You're
bored. You've done all the Lunar sports. The Lunar scenery
is all boringly the same. Lunar society is stodgy and settled,
way too conservative and old-fashioned (they've been there
for like, forever.) Then you notice your neighbor clearing
out his place, not just moving stuff or cleaning house, but
sweating it down to the 200 kg limit for an interplanetary move.
    You are envious. He's going to the new Titan colony (no
more vacuum suits like the Moon) or maybe Ganymede, the
richest World in the System. You strike up a conversation,
"Heading out for a new World, huh?" He waves his hand
disgustedly, "Nah, I just got transferred to Vesta -- it ain't
nothing but a Rock." Hardly any gravity, perpetual water
shortages, a grimy industrial backwater (without the water).
No wonder he's pissed...
    Suddenly, the Moon doesn't seem so bad. Sure, you
learn to be careful with water, but nobody runs out. Yeah,
the scenery is stark, but then you remember your last trip
to that resort in the Lunar Apennines and the view down
almost 20,000 feet to the Mare. And people on the Moon
are basically friendly, helpful, easy-going, like one big small
town, not sour and grim like, well, Vestans. It may be a small
World, but it's no Rock!

Sterling K. Webb