[meteorite-list] Tutankhamen's dagger made from meteoritic iron

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 9 14:32:28 2006

Hi Darren and List,

Darren wrote:

"I ran across this page last night while doing some light browsing
 on the workability of meteoritic iron. It is a fascinating read:"

http://www-geology.ucdavis.edu/~cowen/~GEL115/115CH5.html

This online text states:

Tutankhamen had with him a truly royal weapon: an iron dagger with a
hilt and sheath of gold decorated with rock crystal. The dagger blade
had not rusted in more than 3000 years, and we do not know how it was
forged. A set of 16 small iron chisels was also buried with the king.
This gives some idea of the value of iron at the time.

Darren, I'm going to send you a picture of King Tut's "meteoric"
dagger in a private copy of this mail. I also have a color pic
of one of his pectorals with that scarab made from Libyan Desert
Glass (LDG) if you or anyone should be interested.

Best wishes,

Bernd