[meteorite-list] Cosmic Dust in Terrestrial Ice

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Aug 5 15:46:15 2006

Hi,

    This is one of those odd cases of knowledge being acquired
and lost and re-acquired in generational cycles, even in the so-called
"exact" sciences. The authors of this study say:

> The ratio of 4He in terrestrial dust to the dust concentration itself
> reveals a marked difference between the last Ice Age and the current
> warm period. As . Gisela Winckler, head of the working group "Isotope
> Tracers and Constant Flux Proxies" at L-DEO says, "the terrestrial dust
> coming down on Antarctica during the Ice Age obviously is not the same
> as that during warm periods. This may be due to the mineral dust
> originating from different regional sources or to changes in weathering,
> the process responsible for production of dust." Both scientists now
> want to intensify their collaboration even further and investigate the
> details of this phenomenon.

    Just as there are those who decry impact explanations because
they are a form of "catastrophism," there was great resistance in the
mid-nineteenth century to the proposal that there had been "ice ages,"
dismissing the evidence because the whole idea was forbidden as
"catastrophism."
    When we got over that, we learned a lot about ice ages, and one
of the paradoxes of ice ages is that they are times of global dessication
and dryness. Most of the great deserts were formed during ice ages.
At the peak of the last ice age, the sea level was 450 feet lower than
today.
    I live at 613 feet above sea level and 1200 miles inland, but
storms have no difficulty bringing Gulf moisture over 1200 miles
of mostly flat land and dumping 40-odd inches of rain per year
on me. But if I were suddenly at 1063 feet above sea level and the
ocean was either hundreds of miles further away or at the foot of
a 400 foot cliff, I would get a lot less rain. To complicate the
problem, the temperature would be 10-15 degrees cooler; there
would be fewer rain storms and they would carry less water.
Southern Illinois would look a lot like eastern Colorado. Water
erosion would cease to be common; wind erosion would take
its place. The Dust Bowl of the Depression is a very weak
rehearsal of this effect. These effects would be world-wide;
I just used a local example.
    The authors of the study say dust came from different regions
and from different weathering mechanisms and these changes need
to be investigated. There are mountains of studies 1880-1930 that
document these changes in great detail; they're sitting in geological
libraries and have never been put on the internet; go take a look.
An example of "knowledge being acquired and lost and re-acquired
in generational cycles..."
    I ran across a reference the other day on a NASA website to
satellite studies "discovering" that the Sahara has underground
rivers in a vast connected web. Nope, not "discovered," not by
a long shot. Forty years (1890-1930) of difficult field work by
(mostly) French geologists discovered, traced, mapped, and
documented, in exquisite detail, not only the network of those
underground "rivers" in the Sahara but identified and mapped
their original surface watercourses. Yeah, satellites can probably
do a great deal to expand that knowledge and they should, but
field work in the Sahara is no picnic and if you do it, you should
get credit for it...
    The Sahara, by the way, is not an "ice age" desert, but a modern
one. During the "recent" ice ages, it was wet, temperate, forested,
a paradise of game and good times for a substantial early human
population. The striking contrast between that picture and the
"Great Sand Sea" of today is a perfect example of what a huge
change a shift in weather and weathering can accomplish in a
relatively short time.
    The current "southward march" of the sand is not a climatic
effect, but a physical one. Sand is generated continually in the
central Sahara and like any sandpile to which more sand is
added centrally, it spreads by gravity in any direction the slope
allows, in this case southward.
    The Sahara is only an example of the complexity of ice age
desert change (in reverse). There are lots of geologists on this
List and they all know about "loess." There are parts of the world
where this wind-deposited fine soil (commonly called "dust")
is hundreds of feet deep (NW China, the Great Plains). These
are the soils rapidly emplaced in a cold, dry and dusty ice age
world.
    Perhaps isotope studies can refine our knowledge of the
mechanisms of what an ice age world was like and what the
precise role of differing mechansisms of weathering were. By
all means, they should "investigate the details of this phenomenon,"
but this is not a "discovery," just really good work, of which
a lot has already been done.
    And, for Rob Matson, I just want to point out, an ice age is
what happenes when you