[meteorite-list] Planet V (for Five)

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Apr 28 12:07:50 2006

Hello list

For those people recently who wereharping on about the
apparent disintegration of this list, this is an
example of the sort of gem which I find make it all
worth while.

I like a lot of what is in this post and wish I had
the celestial mechanics ability (and time too) to work
on it (With a healthy dollop of simulation programming
thrown in too)

I will restric myself to one thought to raise
regarding this topic and this is; Did all trace of
this planet disappear? Does anyone have any idea where
NWA3133 may fit into the picture?

Rob McCafferty

--- "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb_at_sbcglobal.net>

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2002/pdf/1093.pdf

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/fifth_planet_020318.html

> [...]
> world made a mess of things.
> Space scientists John Chambers and Jack Lissauer
> of
> NASA's Ames Research Center hypothesize that along
> with Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars -- the
> terrestrial,
> rocky planets -- there was a fifth terrestrial
> world, likely
> just outside of Mars's orbit and before the inner
> asteroid
> belt.
> Moreover, Planet V was a troublemaker. The
> computer
> modeling findings of Chambers and Lissauer were
> presented
> during the 33rd Lunar and Planetary Science
> Conference,
> held here March 11-15, and sponsored by NASA and the
>
> Lunar and Planetary Institute.
> It is commonly believed that during the
> formative years
> of our solar system, between 3.8 billion and 4
> billion years
> ago, the Moon and Earth took a pounding from space
> debris.
> However, there is an on-going debate as to whether
> or not
> the bruising impacts tailed off 3.8 billion year ago
> or if there
> was a sudden increase - a "spike" -- in the impact
> rate
> around 3.9 billion years ago, with quiet periods
> before
> and afterwards?
> This epoch of time is tagged as the "lunar
> cataclysm" -
> also a wakeup call on the cosmological clock when
> the
> first evidence of life is believed to have appeared
> on Earth.
> The great cover-up: Having a swarm of objects
> clobbering the Moon in a narrow point of time would
> have resurfaced most of our celestial next door
> neighbor,
> covering up its early history. Being that the Moon
> is so
> small, Earth would have been on the receiving end of
>
> any destructive deluge too.
> Moon-walking astronauts brought back a cache of
> lunar material. Later analysis showed that virtually
> all
> impact rocks in the "Apollo collection" sported
> nearly
> the same age, 3.9 billion years, and none were
> older.
> But some scientists claim that these samples were
> "biased", as they came from a small area of the
> Moon,
> and are the result of a localized pummeling, not
> some
> lunar big bang.
> There is a problem in having a "spike" in the
> lunar
> cratering rate. That scenario is tough to devise.
> Things
> should have been settling down, according to solar
> system creation experts. Having chunks of stuff come
>
> zipping along some hundreds of millions of years

=== message truncated ===