[meteorite-list] re:Odour of meteorites

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Apr 21 11:52:55 2006

Hi,

Yep certain falls definitely have an odor, even O'C's have a metallic
smell (to me anyway!?)it seems to be strongest after cutting, so I
wonder if some of it is actually just the fine dust left over from the
cutting process?

I once tried to train my dog (Cleo) to recognize an Allende meteorite
from a piece of ordinary rock, No, I am not mad -it was just for fun, as
I was taking her to dog training classes at the time!!

 She could get it right in 70% of cases, which wasn't bad, though I am
not of course, sure if other factors where involved, but a dog's sense
of smell really is amazing.

Though not sure I would use a dog to hunt for meteorites, far too many
other interesting things for them to eat/sniff/pee on!!

Best!
Mark Ford