[meteorite-list] RE:"Aventura del Monte Meteorite"

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Apr 15 15:22:34 2006

Marcin, and all.

Yes it DOES look like a fresh Shikote Alin. I know, because I have a few specimens that were collected in 1947. They were NOT cleaned and have beautiful fusion crust with some minor rust spots for the short time that they were in the soil. (Recently recovered Sikhote Alins will be completely covered with thin rust).

In the many years that I have had samples sent to me (thousands of them), no "meteorwrong" ever looked like this one. This is either a meteorite or a meteorwrong. And from the picture I would say that it is a meteorite. It is magnetic as Mark claims. For it's size it is the right weight, and it apparently has what looks like "thumbprints" which would be typical for iron meteorites of this size.

And I have never in the many years that I have recieved samples seen "slag" that looks like this.

The only other option that I can think of is this is a "cast" of a meteorite made with powdered magnetite or something of that order.

And if it is a cast then "someone" made it.

This thing needs to be looked at by an expert that knows meteorite metals. And the only way to do that is to get a sample.

All I can say about it now is that if someone buys it, have a rock bottom gurantee that if it is not, they can send it back.

If it is, what a treasure.

Steve Schoner/AMS
IMCA #4470

-- <marcin_at_polandmet.com> wrote:
Hi
Incredible specimen.
But I have questions.

You, as a person who know how meteorites looks like, can u describe what
kind of material it is? I think that its easy to recognize iron meteorite
from magnetite or other material. Specimen for me looks like iron meteorite.
If this is not iron and its heavy magnetic, then it cant be meteorite.

This specimen looks like fresh Sikhote-Alin, so it have fussion crust with
flow lines (looks oriented) or it is just layer that simulate crust ?

I think that this should show if its "normall" meteorite or meteor-wron or
strange meteorite.

http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin_at_meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin_at_polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM +48(607)535 195