[meteorite-list] Meteorite magazine: Call for Papers

From: Larry Lebofsky <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Apr 14 14:33:33 2006

Hi All:

Many of you have finally gotten the February issue of Meteorite. The rest
should be getting them soon (we have no control of the postal system). For
those of you who wrote articles for the February issue, your extra copies
should also be on their way. Thanks to all of you who let us know that your
copies have arrived and for your comments on the magazine. They are greatly
appreciated. If you have any subscription questions please send your emails to:

 metpub_at_uark.edu

The May issue has been edited and is now being typeset. In the May issue, we
have a new feature: Pictures of all of our authors! We hope you like this. We
may also try something new for the August issue.

Now, the reason for this email!

Nancy and I are looking for contributors for the August issue of Meteorite.
The deadline for submission is May 19, only 5 weeks away. For those of you who
have never written for Meteorite before, we are always seeking new authors. We
are especially looking for young authors who may never have written for a
magazine before. This includes students who want the experience of writing a
scientific paper (for a more general audience) before writing for a
professional journal, or young and/or new meteorite hunters who want to tell
everyone about their experiences out in the field.

For "old" authors, yes, the deadline is much earlier than when Joel was
editor. Unfortunately, we do not have Joel's 11 years of experience behind us.
We want to keep up the quality of Meteorite and it takes us a little longer to
do this.

Authors get 5 free copies of the issue that their article appears in.

Papers can be sent to either of the addresses below. If you want to know if
what you want to publish is appropriate, just email us with your idea(s).
We will get back to you quickly. Check out our website
(http://meteoritemag.uark.edu). We should have more detailed "Instructions for
Authors" posted soon. We have only a few requests:

1. Articles should, be 2,000 to 3,000 words (or shorter).

2. Include pictures and captions. If you want to send a few extra, that is
fine, we sometimes need to fill up small spaces.

3. If you have references, PLEASE make them as complete as possible (saves me
a lot of searching time)

4. Include a full postal address and email address so that we can publish the
email address
 and send you your extra copies (not everyone is a subscriber)

5. Send us a photo of yourself and a short description of what you do in your
"real life." We want readers to see who you are.

We do have a small backlog of papers, but articles submitted by the deadline
(May 19) will come out in the August or November issue. Please note that we do
sometimes reject papers for a number of reasons.

Any question? Any suggestions? Please contact us.

We look forward to serving you as editors and hope that you continue to enjoy
Meteorite.

Larry and Nancy Lebofsky

Co-editors, Meteorite magazine

e-mail: lebofsky_at_lpl.arizona.edu