[meteorite-list] Forwarded Message from Zelimir Gabelica and Ensisheim news

From: Gi-po Meteorites <Carsten.Giessler_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Apr 14 10:35:21 2006

Hello List,

 here is a email from Zelimir Gabelica, he have a problem sending posts
to the list so
 i forward it:

_

Message from Zelimir Gabelica and Ensisheim news

_Dear Listees,

Here are some news, basically for those of you who worried by my recent
silence to answer specific inquiries, about many topics, the least not
being the Ensisheim show itself.
Today the electricity power was finally switched-on again in our
university buildings and I have again access, if not directly to the
list connection, at least to internet.
Many thanks to Carsten Giessler (Gi-Po meteorites) for final connection
with all of you.

Many of you possibly have heard that about one month ago, our research
three floor building in the university underwent a huge explosion and
litterally the whole building was blown up.
All rooms, walls, floors, infrastructure just disappeared and
desintegrated after the terrible noise. Only one professor (my
colleague) instantaneously dead and a technician was badly injured.
Fortunately the deflagration occurred a little after the noon time and
the luck was that almost all of the 200+ persons working there were out,
for lunch. Should the explosion have occurred about half an hour
earlier, at least 180-200 persons would have disappeared in dust.....
I was there, just ready to leave my office, when I heard the terriffic
"bang". I first thought a plane crashed on the ceiling!
My office is, by luck, located in another building, separated by a shed
and 2 yards some 200 meters from building N? 5 that exploded. I could
escape through smoked corridors and went out just in time to reach my
car before the firemen arrived and all the campus closed.
The catastrophy (possibly due to an ethylene tube explosion, though far
to be sure at the present time) was reported on the web and many (mostly
local) newspapers.
The building that desintegrated (where was my laboratory and many of my
working material) is now definitely "quenched" as such for several years
before they get the green light for its complete destruction and
rebuilding. Official investigation only starts and might take 2 or 3
years...
My office remained thus untouched so that I can use it again (only since
today) because phone, water and electricity supplies could be
re-established since a couple of hours in all the buildings neighboring
the descructed building N? 5.
I am just very happy that I survived and that most of my archives,
computer and books are safe.

Life continues, my passion for meteorites is intact and Ensisheim is
more than ever scheduled.
 "The show must go on"....
I happened to use my computer files during sporadic accessibilities to
the untouched room (my office) and was even able to finalize the show
circular for "Ensisheim 2006". I can forward it as attach (in French or
in English) to anyone who will request it from now.
Otherwise, it will be available (within the next few hours) at the
Ensisheim city web site: _www.ville-ensisheim.fr

_ <http://www.ville-ensisheim.fr/>In short, for the 2006 edition, we
have 3 invited lecturers (A. Carion, D. Padirac; E. Lefebvre) who will
debate about the origin of the terrestrial life related to carbonaceous
chondrites. Many of outstanding cc meteorite samples stemming from
public and private collections will be exhibited. Roasted wild boar,
current vintages and usual funny moments and memories are again waiting
for many of you.

So far, I received many table reservations, mostly from last year guests
(dealers). Due to mail unavailability, I was not in position to
acknowledge each inquiry. I just can tell everybody that basically the
asked places are reserved by priority, as requested. I did that on a
separate file (handwriting). I just wish to ask again everyone to
reconfirm shortly their table reservation by mail so that I have again
all the files for the future "mailing list". Some files might have
indeed been affected during the days that followed the crash. I will
check that regularly again from mid next week on (after Easter week-end)
and confirm.

Thanks for the moral support from those who became aware of the
disaster. And thanks to the others for their patience and understanding
my unforced silence.

All my best wishes to all,

Zelimir

NB: if anyone can give me a serious tip on how to get re-connected toi
the List again, I'll be more than happy. Since about half a year I can
only read the posts, not send any....Why so ?