[meteorite-list] Hadeeda Craters

From: Kevin Forbes <vk3ukf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 6 00:53:19 2006

Hello list,

Anyone have any more info on this crater complex.

There are only three mentions on google.

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=79071&d=12&m=3&y=2006

(snip)

He told the audience that it offered numerous possibilities for future
research. He said that parts of Saudi Arabia had been much wetter in early
times and there was a thriving Savannah where now there was sand.

“The lakes and water tables that remain should be studied in order to
reconstruct the history of the climate and then project it forward to enable
us to understand how this area will develop in the future.”

The expedition visited the Hadeeda Craters — site of a famous meteor impact
— in the southwestern Al-Rub Al-Khali. Professor Matter said that samples of
the meteorite were being sold on the Internet for considerable sums to
collectors.

Drawing on his experience with meteor fragments in Oman where he set up a
program to recover fragments from the desert, he said that the program had
recovered meteorite fragments from the moon and even one from Mars.
Collectors though, he said, had robbed the desert of its heritage simply for
money and not for scientific research.

The Al-Rub Al-Khali showed indications of considerable groundwater water
resources, said Professor Muhammad Sultan of Western Michigan University.
“We have to do our homework and to establish its whereabouts and how much we
can take out of it so that we can set up sustainable development of this
area. We have a lot of work ahead of us, but we are on the right track.”

(snip)