[meteorite-list] Re: Mercury splattered Earth / little bit of aDeep Impact article

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Apr 3 20:50:24 2006

Hi, Doug, Darren, List

    The original simulation of interplanetary transfer by Gladman
("The exchange of impact ejecta between terrestrial planets," by
Brett J. Gladman, Joseph A. Burns, Martin Duncan, Pascal Lee
and Harold F. Levison, Science, 1996) showed 0.5% of impact
ejecta from Mercury reaching the Earth from a series of small
varied individual impacts such as would produce interplanetary
meteorites.
    I would imagine that one huge whack would be even more
efficient at transferring material between planets, but even if it
wasn't, the one huge whack would have removed a good
percentage of Mercury's existing crust (thus accounting for its
disporportionally large metallic core), perhaps 20% of the mass
of the planet, or about 10^23 kg, or a little more than the
mass of the Earth's Moon.
    One-half percent of that is 5 x 10^20 kg, or to write it out
in full, 500,000,000,000,000,000 tons, which would amount
to 1/10,000th of the present mass of the Earth (4 x 10^24 kg)
more or less.
    Any one wishing a sample of the planet Mercury for analysis
or investigation should just mail me $1000. I will immediately ship
them a 23-pound box of rocks which will contain one full gram
of Mercurian planetary sample material. All you will have to do
is separate it from the other 9,999 grams.
    If I didn't charge at least $1000 per gram for Mercurian
material, why, then the market would be in ruin!

Sterling K. Webb