[meteorite-list] International shipping isssues

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Apr 2 23:09:31 2006

This is mostly from my memory so spelling and details could be wrong but
this is as close I get without spending a lot time searching the net.

I have bought a lot of minerals and meteorites from a seller in Spain
and the time it takes to send a parcel from Spain to Sweden is remarcable.
The Spanish post offers two services "Rapido" and "Economique". I had
five parcels sent all in all under a period of one and a half year.
Every time it took the same time, five weeks.... that was "Rapido" and
the delay was all inside Spain according to markings on the parcels.

It was also stated at the website that the fast alternative would take
five weeks. The economic alternative would have taken three months. I
never opted for it but I have no doubt that it would take any less than
three months. It seems the Spanish postal system is very reliable...
they keep their promises every time. Very reliable but veeerryyyy slooowww.

  :-)

The longest delay for a parcel from USA to Sweden is seven weeks. That
was a lot of 13 kg NWA meteorites. When it finally arrived It was like a
rock fell off my heart... or should that be a meteorite fall.

Usually I avoid sending packages and letters between Sweden and USA
during december and january unless it is registered. I have had several
ordinary letters dissapearing during the holiday season.

/G?ran

Adam Hupe wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I was wondering if anybody else is having problems with shipping to other
> countries, specifically Germany? It seems that about every six months I go
> through a cycle were things are seriously delayed or in rare cases lost when

... snip ...