[meteorite-list] AD - Do you want a rareandimportantMetachondrite?

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 28 14:27:55 2005

Hello Satn, whoops make that Stan,

I'd like to refer you to the original abstract in which the term
metachondrite was proposed.

<http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/metsoc2005/pdf/5218.pdf>

I have also understood the deficiency in the use of the term "primitive
achondrite", so I have gladly adopted the new term "metachondrite" on my
website. It is a meaningful substitute I think, and resolves ambiguities
in the previous terminology.

On the other note which you are discussing, that of NWA 1058, I believe
the evidence is now leaning greatly in favor of this being a member of
the winonaites, so its sale as an acapulcoite doesn't seem responsible
to me anyway. See this abstract to view the new diagram comparing 17O to
olivine Fa content, which has been found to resolve these two groups
when mineralogical data couldn't. NWA 1058 plots clearly within the WIN
field and not the ACA/LOD field:

<http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/metsoc2005/pdf/5138.pdf

David