[meteorite-list] Article describing meteorite fall in Jamaica in the year 1700

From: chris aubeck <caubeck_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Sep 26 11:44:20 2005

Dear list,

After my recent request for information regarding a possible meteorite
fall in 1862, I found one report which apparently has not been
collected elsewhere.

Source: Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society XXX, No. 357,
July-September 1718, pp. 837-838.

Article: "A letter of the curious naturalist Mr. Henry Barham, R. S.
S., to the publisher, giving a relation of a fiery meteor seen by him,
in Jamaica, to strike the Earth..."

Barham describes his observation of a falling fireball in the year
1700, "about three miles north-west from St. Fago de la Vega." He
approaches a group of people south of the savanna who are admiring the
recently broken ground where they have seen a fireball come down.
Several deep holes, smell of sulphur, etc.

I just thought someone might be interested.

Best,

Chris