[meteorite-list] Crackpot impact theory

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 24 22:22:03 2005

Congratulations, Darren!

    You are the road to discovering the Ultimate
Weapon! It isn't the Death Star from Star Wars,
or the X-Ray Laser, or the Hydrogen Bomb, no,
no, no, no...

    It's the Hyper Kinetic Gun!

    A one ton slug of iron accelerated in a rail gun
to 1% of the speed of light toward a planet would
strike with the kinetic energy of a 1,000,000 ton
object traveling at the "mere" cosmic velocity of
30 km/sec.

    At 10% of the speed of light, it would have the
the kinetic energy of a 100,000,000 ton object!

    Since you could accelerate an iron slug at 10,000
gee's, the rail gun wouldn't have to be more than a
few kilometers long (in free fall vacuum). You'd need
some dam big condensers, though...

Sterling