[meteorite-list] OT, suspect Mo, Mark L

From: E.L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 16 03:06:06 2005

Coming in late...

I've not heard of Molybdenite in massive veins like this as it forms in
metamorphosed sea deposits--aka Marbles in small hexagonal clusters of
flat soft malleable crystals. While it shares a "1" in hardness with
graphite it is harder than graphite but will still leave a streak.

It superficially resembles silicon of the type manufactured for
industry which I don't know the hardness of but it doesn't streak.

I am inclined to go with Molybdenum(sp) but something from a
refining/refractory/smelting operation...aka man-made.

TRIVIA:
Incidentally the name comes from the Greek: molybdos meaning lead.
However the Latin for lead is plumbdum hence the symbol of Pb and the
career field plumber because the Roman's used lead pipes to deliver
water to houses. Both Greek and Roman languages come from the same root
referring to the color of lead as in lead-gray which is really a silver
gray on a fresh surface.

We call it the lead of a pencil "lead" when it is really graphite but
once was lead bars used to write on slate/marble slabs, however English
"Lead" derives from the Celtic "Loud" for "Red" from the color of lead
oxide-- and you wonder why mineral names are so difficult to decypher.

Elton