[meteorite-list] Re: NASA to Unveil Plans to Send 4 Astronauts to Moon in...

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 15 16:11:58 2005

Mah! I don't know Darren, it takes a heck of a lot longer to work under the
hood of a car with 2000's technology than a car with 50's and 60's
technology. From the sounds of it, though, the technology is from a 60's and 70's
junkyard, with more airbags and increased passenger space and head room...as
for there being no space race Ron, can you copy that to George and the Chinese
in language each can understand and see if they agree there is no race to
have Moonbase Alpha nor dark forces at work for whoever who gets caught off
guard? How does NASA's Moonbase program compare in constant dollars annually to
the Apollo program anyways? The jump from Mercury to Gemini, btw, didn't
take 10 years! Regarding Apollo, I would say the new program is about at the
equivalent of July 1966 when boosters were being tested...and by July 1969 the
Eagle had landed, so 3 years is a valid number to use for comparison of then
and now...for next manned Lunar touchdown...

Saludos, Doug
PS What does Mah! mean?
PPS I happen to think that NASA's 1960's space technology was pretty good
by today's standards!

>> So, getting to the moon with the technology of the 50s/60s takes less
than a decade, but getting to
>> the moon with the technology of the 2000s takes 15 years?
>

>There's currently no 'space race' like there was in the 1950s/1960s. Also,
this plan will land 4 astronauts on the lunar surface, as opposed to the
>Apollo's two. And they are targeting the harder-to-reach polar regions to
take advantage of ice resources, where Apollo went to more easily reached