[meteorite-list] Customs & meteorites

From: Elton Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 10 20:45:04 2005

Having seen this issue come up from time to time, it is my opinion, in
absence of specific local exceptions called out in the local
jurisdictions, any meteorite is firstly and foremost a "mineral specimen
for educational/scientific curiosity" and can be categorized as a
mineral specimen without being dishonest.

"Mineral specimen" is an appropriate legal description for customs
forms. If composition is necessary line item, then "native iron,
sulfides, and silicates" should suffice for composition. It doesn't meet
the definition of "ore" and it isn't a source of precious metal.
Quartzite as we all know is never found in meteorites.

I can import a diamond crystal tariff free but, if cut and polished it
becomes a precious stone and the tariffs are laid on thickly. As I
recall mineral specimens are almost universally treated tariff-free
under one of the UN boards that oversees such things as tariff classes

Certain classes of rocks are known as aggregates and can fall into
different legal classes for tax purposes--especially for asset depletion
rates-- Different criters when shipped in commercial quantities.

I futher believe that a given specimen of mineral/rock that hasn't
specifically been legally identified as meteorite can be exported out of
Canada or Australia without futher comment owing to the way the laws are
written--else as a defense against illegal export charges..<wink> But I
can't say if I've ever benefited from such a "mineral" purchase.

Elton