[meteorite-list] FAA Investigates Another Piece Of Mysterious Falling Ice in California

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 9 21:55:00 2005

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4948785/detail.html

FAA Investigates Another Piece Of Mysterious Falling Ice

Man Believes Ice Fell On His Home From Air Traffic Overhead

NBC 4 TV News
September 8, 2005

FONTANA, Calif. -- Federal air safety officials are investigating
another possible case of something falling from an airplane onto a house
in Moreno Valley.

This time, it is expected that that chunk of ice may have fallen off an
airplane onto a house.

>From the inside of the Peter Carlucci home, there is a barely visible
patch of water damage on the ceiling. But there was no mistaking the
earth-shattering noise.

"It shook the house. I came home and took a look. I didn't see anything.
And then, a neighbor of mine pointed out I had a hole in the roof,"
Carlucci said.

When Carlucci climbed on his roof to investigate, he found smashed clay
tiles and a gaping 3-foot hole. The plywood was splintered and the attic
insulation was soaking wet.

"I think it's a piece of ice or something from a plane that flies from
air traffic overhead," Carlucci said.

He believes he is a victim of falling ice, like Johnny Worthy was in
Fontana previously. The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating
where a large ice ball could have come from that smashed into Worthy's
living room last month.

Like Carlucci, Worthy is near the flight pattern of a major airport.

"They come overhead all day at a high altitude, on the way to LAX
Airport. They could have fallen off the plane, I'm not sure," Carlucci said.

While the FAA investigates, Carlucci is relieved that the mystery object
fell on the roof and not on his children. The FAA is investigating the
origin of the ice. Pilots told NBC4 that it is not uncommon for ice to
form on parts of the aircraft at high altitudes.