[meteorite-list] Siena on Ebay: a record

From: Martin H. <planetwhy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Sep 5 19:55:12 2005

Matteo noted:

> $8541/gr. a super record for a very little piece of
> Siena....well, in future when I sale my pieces of
> Siena I sale the 2 gr. slice for $17,000 ;-)

Hi All,

Applying this absurd extrapolation of dimensional
analysis to another specimen I offered on eBay, yet
another record should be noted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6557759069&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

The piece of Millen, Georgia was about a milligram (I
say ?about? because my scale would not give me an
accurate repeatable weight that I could post).
Therefore the per gram price of Millen is $8700! And,
to carry this ridiculous argument further, the 150g
slice of Millen I sold to the Fernbank Science Museum
in Atlanta would have an absurdly extrapolated value
of more than $1.3 million!

So I guess I lost about $1.3 million on that deal. Oh
well, you win some, you loose some.

Cheers,

Martin