[meteorite-list] OT: New Orleans blamestorming

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 2 10:48:37 2005

When the U.S. was settled, wood was cheap and abundant. One consequence of
this was that stonework became a very specialized trade. This continues
today; the vast majority of construction workers are not skilled in stone or
concrete, and residential building inspectors- especially in rural areas-
are largely clueless about how such structures work. It would obviously be
wiser to build homes from such materials (especially in hurricane prone
areas), but the infrastructure to do so simply isn't in place. There are
parts of the country where brick is a common building material, but brick
buildings (without underlying steel reinforcement) are not much more secure
than wood.

Alternatives to wood are slowly becoming more available. As happened
centuries ago in Europe, we are using up our inexpensive wood sources. I'm
designing a house now which will largely be poured concrete, and the
construction costs won't be much higher than for wood.

Of course, the folly of New Orleans is that it is a coastal city built below
sea level. Much of the damage caused by Katrina was unrelated to the wind
directly, and was produced by flooding. It doesn't much matter what your
construction material is when the water rises. The smart thing to do would
be simply to abandon the city. With sea levels rising for the next century
or longer, large sections of the Gulf Coast and Florida are essentially
doomed.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory