[meteorite-list] Re: Crackpot Theory Redux

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Oct 29 21:05:50 2005

Hi, Axel,

    The dynamics of the situation are such
that increasing the speed of an incoming object
in an attempt to penetrate the atmosphere
without losing all its mass to frictional
ablation just never happens for small objects.

    Now, a big object, like a 1000 meter
asteroid will ALWAYS penetrate the atmosphere
and reach the surface of the Earth; and a small
object, like a 1 mm grain, will NEVER reach the
Earth's surface at speed (it might float down;
see below). In both cases, this is regardless
of initial speed.

    The division between objects that can reach
the surface and those that can't is this: if the
mass of atmosphere in the path of the object is
greater than the object's mass, it won't make it;
and if it's less, it will. Speed doesn't enter
the equation (much).

    Imagine a 1 mm grain; then imagine a 1 mm
"tube" of atmosphere extending from the top of
the atmosphere to the surface. If that "tube"
contains more mass of atmosphere than the mass
of the grain, the grain won't be able to reach
the surface.

    Such small grains, at "normal" entry
velocities, will be stopped without frictional
heating and just float down to the surface.
This is how most interplanetary and interstellar
dust arrives at the surface and becomes incor-
porated in sediments, many 1000's of tons per
year. At high entry velocities, small grains
burn up completely.

    Firestone's belief that because iron grains
are formed in the heart of a supernova, they could
survive re-entry is completely mistaken. The
individual iron atoms are created in the supernova
and accelerated to immense velocities in nano-
seconds. That does not matter; you can't destroy
an individual atom. They assemble as grains when
the atoms are crowded together under high pressures
and temperatures in their first few milliseconds.
But assemblages of trillions of atoms, like tiny
grains, can be dis-assembled. When that happens,
the individual atoms are not destroyed (they float
down), but they're not particles any more...

    The heating depends on the ratio of particle
surface to particle mass, which is high for small
particles and low for large particles. So, for
a very large object (100's of meters), it just
can't be vaporized fast enough to be stopped in
the 1.5 to 2.0 seconds of atmospheric passage!
The kind of objects that produce meteorites (10's
of meters) lose 90% or more of their mass before
fragmenting and depositing the pieces as meteorites.

    An obvious demonstration of the fact that speed
alone will not get you through the atmosphere is
the example of very energetic "cosmic rays," like
an iron nucleus travelling at 99.999999999% of the
speed of light: very small particle, very high
speed, but such cosmic rays are nicely stopped by
the atoms of the Earth's atmosphere. (To be
completely accurate here, 1 such particle in
10^24th particles will pass right through the
atmosphere and the Earth itself and be detected
as a vertically rising "cosmic ray" on the other
side of the Earth! But, that's because of its
small nuclear dimension, and as you can see,
it's rare...)

Sterling K. Webb