[meteorite-list] Re: S. Ray DeRusse's comments

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 28 16:53:01 2005

A lurker called "Lee" posted:

>> You know some months ago Geoff Notkin (meteorite list) was told by
>> someone he claims is a good friend of his that the Judge found a
>> lawsuit we filed "frivolous" and dismissed it.

DeRusse is a litigious (look it up) fellow who likes to file frivolous
lawsuits when genuine scientists patiently explain that his
"meteorites" are plain old terrestrial rocks. That must feel good!
Nothing like wasting the time of legitimate researchers, especially
with all these science and education budget cuts. Actually he dropped a
suit against a friend of mine because my friend's lawyer went right
back after him. As my friend said: "DeRusse likes to bark, but that's
about it."

Of much more interest to the Meteorite List will be a welcome update to
the Open Source Directory Project's meteorite page.

http://www.dmoz.org/Science/Earth_Sciences/Geology/Rocks_and_Minerals/
Meteorites

The Soggy Bottom Meteorite Boys somehow managed to get their site
listed in the DMOZ (I guess the editor was dozing that day), but that
listing has been revised to: "Promotes the sale, collection, trading
and auction of samples of rocks THOUGHT to be meteorites."

DeRusse is the only person who thinks they are, but at least the true
nature of his site is now clear to the world -- the DMOZ, of course,
being the most highly respected directory on the web.

I'm very pleased to see that the DMOZ got that straightened out. Good
work people.

Geoff N.