[meteorite-list] Announcment: Rollin' Rock Meteorite Sales Letter -First issue ready for Launch !

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Oct 27 16:33:19 2005

Hi Greg, list

just back from the show - uuuh I saw some stones.....

Certainly you are right, that not all stuff on ebay is boring or of low
quality, especially not yours, which I have to admit, are best prepared even
then if they are only of micromount size.
BUT. Don't forget that meanwhile, I'd guess, the majority of collectors came
to meteorites in the very recent times, at the culmination years of the
desert rush and they have no orientation (and they don't read Kichinka's
book).
Among my clients there were so many, who collected regardless of the class,
outer appearence, weathering degree one ugly brown stone after the other and
thought, this would be the essence of meteorite collecting. Some of them
even bought at the beginning always the same 3 or 4 localities or numbers.
They are not cutting and preparing by themselves - then at least I could
understand, that it would be a thrill, no, they put that unclassified
expressionless chunks in the display cases and are thinking, that's it.
They clearly need some education, to discover the thrilling nuances and
aspects of this hobby (else I'd think, it will be boring for them within a
short time). Another phenomenon is, that, often independend from their
financial means, they are buying specks or micromounts, obviously they
collect numbers and names, but not meteorites. I ask you, where on a
mm-sized micro you can enjoy for instance a good brecciation? Third
problem - and this is caused solely by ebay, they do not appreciate a high
quality preparation and are not able to reckognise outstanding specimens,
because usually every piece of, sorry, crap on ebay is attributed as it
would be the Star of India.
Take please a look to German ebay. It's often a cosmic garbage dump, because
the sellers can't list quality anymore as it is not paid there. For an iron
etched au point with fanciest inclusions and Neumann lines they will pay
exactely the same as for the same iron in form of a rusty rough specimen.
Furthermore they aren't able to value rare or historic falls, as they are
used to pay always the same for the ordinary desert stuff, if they see an
Eagle Station, then they think, humm it's a pallasite, seller says it's
ultrarare, so he can't complain, if I bid 3 times more as for Brahin and it
will end at 5$/g.

Greg, I tell you, the last 4 or 5 years I spend the largest part of my time
in answering questions of rookies or even of those, who never held a
meteorite in their hands, telling them all the facettes of the stones and
our hobby, often mailing 80++ hours per week, felt almost like a virtual
German Nininger (time which I rather should have spent for selling&enjoying
life). Meteorites are rare, they are special, it's an absolutely exotic
niche (ask mineral&fossil dealers, what they and their clientele are
thinking about stones from space...),
accordingly difficult is it for the beginning collectors to find information
at all and to find their way through the jungle of the nowadays offered
material.

And from the economical point of view I would say, if we take them by the
hand, encourage them with our knowledge and help them to develope their
individual styles and taste, we all will profit. The dealers, as good
material will be paid better - the collectors, as they'll be able to
separate the wheat from the chaff (and as long as ignorance or market, tell
it like you want, keeps the prices so low, to make their bargains).

>but the sales end of your message
> really stands out in your posting.

That's why we call it a "Sales Letter".
The sales letter now, is nothing else as an attempt to focus on a monthly
changing selection of extraordinary pieces, a promise not to molest the
collectors with the common stuff, which they find day by day offered -
that's all.

Your attempt is different, you are selling your fine material via your name
and your reputation (and the expections, which result from this), which you
gained because of your work in the last years. I'm convinced, that you would
get out worse results on ebay, if you would sell your stones more or less
anonymous or if you wouldn't introduce them to the list in your elaborate
way (-->education).
(Here we chose the way of suscription, so that only those, who are
interested in specimens of that niveau will recieve it, so that nobody can
complain about unwanted ads. - Have to write this, as someone feared, we
would sell the email-adresses :-).

The discussion, where better to buy - from ebay or from dealers' offers, we
don't have to start here.
Every experienced collector (and dealer too) will agree, that on both ways
one can make advantageous purchases.

Buckleboo!
Martin

PS: When will you make it finally once to the Munich show? From both
Hupe-towns to North Africa it's quite a distance, compared the way from
North Africa to Munich is only a cat's jump, as we say here.