[meteorite-list] New Bencubbinite

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Oct 22 18:20:00 2005

Hello Hanno and List,

Sincere congrats on the acquisition of this rare CB chondrite.
As I had the pleasure of examining two specimens of this rare
beauty, before they were offered to the interested collector,
I can tell you this CB keeps me puzzled.

Though Hanno clearly states that it is unlike Gujba, my first impression
was (see his specimen #7 - 12.070 grams) that it was similar to Gujba.
But when I examined one of my two specimens under the microscope, and
saw some pics Hanno had taken of the other specimens he had cut, I too
felt it looked suspiciously like Bencubbin.

Some cut specimens show so much metal that they make you think of HaH 237
although the metal phases are much more coherent and "blebby". Should there
be something like an intermediate type, something like a CB3a/b or even a
CBc ???

Anyway, this BEN will surely be or become one of the hallmarks in the clan
of the rare CB chondrites.

Best wishes,

Bernd