[meteorite-list] Black stone of Paphos

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Oct 2 01:05:47 2005

Hi, All,

    More on the Black Stone of Paphos
and other Black Stones can be found at:
<http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/edge/blstone.htm>

    This is a "new-age-ish" site, but the references
cited are legitimate enough. There is a much larger
illustration of the Black Stone, but it is an engraving
taken from a photo (about 2/3rds of the way down
the page).

    As for the Black Stone of Mecca, in the Ka'bah,
these two books are said to contain photographs of it:
    Hussein Yoshio Hirashima, "The Road to Holy Mecca,"
Kodansha (Japan), 1972.
    Anon., "Pilgrimage to Mecca," Sud-Editions
(Tunis) 1978 and East-West Publications (London) 1980.

    "More Black Stones:
    Deities of other cultures known to have been associated
with stones include Aphrodite at Paphos, Cybele at Pessinus
and later Rome, Astarte at Byblos and the famous Artemis/
Diana of Ephesus. The later's most ancient sculpture was,
it is said, carved from a black meteorite.
    The stone associated with Cybele's worship was, originally,
probably at Pessinus but perhaps at Pergamum or on Mount Ida.
What is certain is that in 204 BCE it was taken to Rome, where
Cybele became 'Mother' to the Romans... Alongside Isis,
Cybele retained prominence in the heart of the Empire until
the fifth century CE; the stone was then lost.
    Another site stated to have a Black Stone was at Petra...

    Of the Temple at Ephesus, this website says," "That earliest
temple (800 BC) contained a sacred stone, probably a meteorite,
that had 'fallen from Jupiter.' "
<http://www.unmuseum.org/ephesus.htm>

    A summary of Cybele's worship in Rome can be found at:
<http://www.angelfire.com/pq/philologos/Cybele.html>
    The "meteorite" associated with Cybele must have been
quite small as it was embedded in the forehead of the statue
of the goddess. Neither is it likely to have been an iron as it
was "smashed" by fanatic Christians about 500 AD.

    While the sacred stone of Delphi is on exhibit at the museum
there, it is not the original stone, nor is it a meteorite, although the
original was said to be:
<http://sacredsites.com/europe/greece/tholos_temple_delphi.html>

    The meteorite of Lake Kaali was apparently also a sacred
object. See:
<http://victorian.fortunecity.com/christy/32/kaali.html>

    A number of classical historical references to meteorites are
summarized in the following:
<http://www.jjkent.com/articles/history-writings-meteorites.htm>

Sterling K. Webb