[meteorite-list] ad : proto-planetary collision results in re-condensation of interest

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Nov 18 19:16:39 2005

Hello List,

I don't know how many of you haven't heard the leading proposed
formation history for the bencubbinites, but to me this is probably the
most fascinating meteorite group (or CR clan) described (for example,
see Campbell et al., MAPS, August 2005). It is thought by some, with
compelling evidence, that this material was formed extremely early in
the solar system when two proto-planets collided to form a vapor plume
of their components, from which this CB material condensed. These
collisions must have been common back then, but the bencubbinites
represent the most pristine evidence of these initial planetary stirrings.

The bencubbinites of subgroup "a", which comprise only Bencubbin,
Weatherford, Isheyevo, NWA 1814, Fountain Hills, NWA 4025, and the only
observed fall, Gujba, experienced slightly more thermal metamorphism
than those of subgroup "b", HaH 237 and QUE 94411, but still represent
some of the most pristine material from our earliest solar system
construction. Because I have always found the CB meteorites to be one of
the most beautiful as well as enigmatic, I have continued to acquire the
different examples for my collection. The tiny Fountain Hills is best
left to scientific scrutiny as it appears to represent a transitional
sample linking the CB chondrites to the CR chondrites (besides I can't
afford a sample).

I think it can do no harm in promoting the newest member of the CBa
subgroup which is being sold by Hanno Strufe for the lowest price I have
seen, at $35-40/g. I had to pay ~$300/g to acquire my first Bencubbin
specimen, and also most of the others CBa members with the exception of
the most beautiful meteorite in the world - Gujba. This new one of
Hanno's is very similar to the type specimen. It cleans up amazingly
well and the weathering is not a problem at all as I had initially
feared. Please have a look at my newest acquisition (click the image for
a striking close-up):

http://meteoritestudies.com/protected_NWA4025.HTM

You can see what Hanno has left to sell at his website:

http://www.strufe.net/special_ben.htm

Thanks Hanno for bringing this amazing new bencubbinite to the community!

note: this is my first ad of the week, thanks for reading.

David