[meteorite-list] photo link - a cosmic marble

From: M come Meteorite Meteorites <mcomemeteorite2004_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Nov 13 16:35:29 2005

Its the same I have say when I have cut my NWA 2179 -
its a LL3 - but after the analysis the laboratory have
say its a H3.

NWA 2179

? Found 2003

? Ordinary chondrite H3

Several stones weighing in total 367.2 g was bought at
Erfoud market by an anonymous buyer. Mineralogy and
classification (G.Pratesi, V.Moggi Cecchi, MSP)): the
meteorite consists of chondrules 500-700 ?m in size,
of different types (PO, POP, BO, RP) and their
fragments embedded in a fine-grained matrix; olivine
is Fa0.81-18.38, with an average of Fa6.68; two
clusters of analyses, with mean values at Fa1.53 and
Fa12.02, respectively, can be delineated for chondrule
olivines, pointing to a classification as H chondrite.
Low-Ca pyroxenes range from Fs6.13En93.07Wo0.80 to
Fs21.01En78.17Wo0.83, in good agreement with olivine
data; minor phases are pigeonite, kamacite, taenite
and troilite; some olivine grains in BO and PO
chondrules are markedly zoned and contain a glassy
mesostasis. Compositional data on olivine point to a
petrological subtype <3.5. Weathering grade is W2;
shock stage is S1. Specimens: one thin section and
29.4 g, MSP; main mass (88.8 g) with anonymous buyer.

Matteo

--- Michael Farmer <meteoritehunter_at_comcast.net> ha

http://it.geocities.com/mcomemeteoritecollection/NWA2179.JPG

http://www.meteoriten.com/L-breccia-large-chondrule.jpg

MSN Messanger: spacerocks at hotmail.com