[meteorite-list] oriented vs orientated

From: Kevin Forbes <vk3ukf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Nov 12 11:15:20 2005

My two bob's worth.
Use what is correct in your own nation or culture or the way that you have
been instructed in
language. The rest of us will understand what may seem confusing on its own
from the the context
that it is used in. I use colour and not color, I use Aluminium and not
Aluminum, I use
orientated and not oriented. If you feel uneasy about a word, choose
another, such as, aligned,
instead. Some would have the entire language become phonetic or SMS'ed. Some
people are not
native speakers of English but do a lot better at English, than I would in
their language. As
long as the message gets across and you do the best that you can.
I would probably use the word 'nacre' to describe the lustre of a pearl,
'orient' is a new one
on me.
See, I am still learning, as, no doubt we all are. I love this list for
that.
A quote that I proudly invented, I think.
"Woe, shall be I the day that I stop learning, for that shall also be the
day that I die."
G'day to all, Kevin.