[meteorite-list] Alain Carion has a question

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Nov 9 21:29:05 2005

In a message dated 11/9/2005 2:31:37 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
accretiondesk_at_gmail.com writes:
Hi Bernd and all,

Bernd kindly offered Paneth's Iron as a possiblility.

Would not that place us back to square one again since Paneth's Iron
is itself an unknown locality? At least that is what I have read
anyway.

Just a thought.

Martin

On 09 Nov 2005 20:16:03 UT, bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de
<bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de> wrote:
> Hello Anne and List,
>
> Precise information about the exact bandwidth of the Widmanstaetten
lamellae
> would be extremely helpful. Assuming the "face of the picture" *is* 7 cm
long,
> the width of the lamellae might be about 1.7 mm. If it is from an old
collection,
> it may even be a piece of an historical iron called "Paneth's Iron", a
coarse
> octahedrite (1.5? 0.3 mm). Wow, that would be something! But first of all,
it
> is crucial to know as exactly as measurable the width of the Widmanstaetten
> pattern.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Bernd

I sent Bernd's question to Alain and I will let you know when I have an
answer.

Paneth's Iron is certainly an intriguing possibility. The whole thing was
150 kilos. Would anyone know of a collection or a Museum with a piece in
display, so we could get a picture and compare?
The Catalogue lists 3 specimens in the collection of the Vienna Museum.
Maybe Christian Anger has seen it!

Many thanks for your help.

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com