[meteorite-list] Questions regarding Unclassified meteorite sales

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Nov 6 11:15:33 2005

You can't determine anything about orbits from strewn fields, even knowing
the date and time of the fall. Except in rare cases (such as Sikhote-Alin)
where the body retains cosmic velocity to, or nearly to, the ground, the
direction of strewn fields are determined solely by aerodynamics- mostly by
the atmospheric wind profile. A meteoroid entering from east to west can
easily produce a strewn field extending from west to east (or north to
south, or any other orientation).

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory