[meteorite-list] Laurencite disease?

From: Bill Southern <Nugget-Shooter_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat May 28 20:37:18 2005

Hello list,

I was studying some slices of Franconia today under the microscope when I
noticed movement on the surface of one of the slices (stay with me I'm not a
nut) I switched to a bit higher magnification and along the edge of some of
the metal in the specimen were small areas of rust with liquid in minute
amounts slowly bubbling up within it. I was actually able to watch what I
suspect to be Laurencite disease in slow progress.

There are several areas on my specimens that are showing these rusting
zones, but none actually are showing the liquid (acid?) moving on the
surface. Anyway over the last several hours the affected area has grown by
quite a bit. Interesting stuff...

I have tried to take a photo, but the quality if lacking, sorry. Any added
insight as to what I am witnessing would be very welcome.

http://www.nuggetshooter.com/imagesMET/frandamage.jpg

Best regards, Bill