[meteorite-list] AD - A FEW DANDYS

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 20 20:00:51 2005

Hello list,

David noted, on Rob's very nice achondrite, "In keeping with the conventions
which Jeff has taught us just recently, perhaps your stone would be better
listed as "provisional" or something similar, rather than using the term
"official classification". It is not official until it's published in the
Bulletin. Just my thoughts."

I agree with David for the most part and I e-mailed the list on the use of
the word "official" a couple times before. Scientist do not make official
meteorite names or classifications. They submit proposed names and
classifications. Granted this is rarely changes, but it does sometimes.
The Met. Soc. makes names and classifications official. So it seems it
either has to be published in a bulliten or you have to have an e-mail from
Sara Russell, Jeff Grossman or the like, telling you it has been approved.
Once they approve it I think you can say its official. The bulletins do go
a year between publication and you have a six month deadline so there is a
big time gap here.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas