[meteorite-list] FW: RE: Fireball News Article from Finland

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 18 19:06:44 2005

--------------- Forward Message ---------------

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:56:47 +0300
From: "Lyytinen Esko" <Esko.Lyytinen_at_MINEDU.FI>
To: "Global Meteor Observing Forum"
Cc: marko.pekkola_at_ursa.fi

Subject: RE: Fireball News Article from Finland

Hi,

Yes we really had a very bright fireball yesterday
evening at about 19.23 UT.

The URSA meteor section has received quite a big
number of reports and more is coming.

The Sun was just about setting at the the region of
the observations and it was very remarkable in spite
of the lightness. It was cloudy here in Southern
Finland and so I could not capture it in my
fireball-camera.

We have received one photograph of the smoke trail
that peristed for 45 minutes (maybe till the Sun got
too down to illuminate it). There also exists a video
of the smoke trail, but the recoreder has not yet
submitted it.

According to my quick lookup, this seems to be clearly
visible in the Swedish infrasound data from
http://www.umea.irf.se/maps/index.php
Uppsala and Lycksele .

It appears to have entered from somehere South-East
with an entry angle of maybe 30 degrees from horizon
and lasted maybe from 5 to 10 seconds.
So the entry velocity seems to have been relatively
slow.
According to one (of the most nearby observers it
exploded into small pieced that ended in less than a
second from the explosion.)
The pieces quite clearly landed ouside the Finnish
border, into the Russian side, maybe by about/more
than 100km:s, according to the infrared locator.

I expect that Markku Nissinen will put the smoke
trail-figure into the URSA meteor section web-site,
but this has not yet been done.

Esko

There's a brief fireball news article from: NewsRoom
Finland

http://tinyurl.com/8au9f

A rare atmospheric phenomenon occurred in Finland late
on Tuesday night.
Emergency authorities in North Karelia received around
twenty telephone calls alerting them to what was later
confirmed as a fireball, or an especially luminous
meteor.

Callers told the authorities that a burning object
fell from the sky leaving a smoke trail...

Any URSA meteor-section members here?

--
David Entwistle
---