[meteorite-list] Portales Valley Classification Info

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 16 22:21:50 2005

Hello List,

  Well for years now, I know a lot of us were puzzled
by the classification of Portales Valley as an " H6
ordinary chondrite". (See my article in the May 2001
issue of Meteorite, titled " Portales Valley - A Not
So Ordinary (Ordinary Chondrite??)! " In the recent
past, the classification was modified a bit, being
changed to read as an " H6 Impact Melt Breccia ".

  I am excited to be able to say that there is a
distinct chance the true uniqueness of PV may soon be
reflected in a possible new moniker for this
intriguing meteorite. David Weir was kind enough to
make me aware of a new and comprehensive paper by Alex
Ruzicka, Marvin Killgore, David Mittlefehldt, and Marc
Fries in the current MAPS. In this detailed work, we
now have the proposed reclassification of PV as an "
H7, metallic-melt breccia (primitive achondrite)",
with the case made for a new meteorite type
designation of "Portalesite" due to this metallic-melt
breccia characteristic.

  You can read David's updated description of PV on
his excellent website here:

    http://www.meteoritestudies.com

  Many thanks to David for news of this exciting
paper, and to the authors of the paper as well.

  Sincerely,
  Robert Woolard