[meteorite-list] Re: 13.5 kg lunar (Significance)

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 16 17:44:07 2005

Jeff wrote:

>No, and I do not know the whole story, and do hope
>I was wrong in my 'stingy' comment. But a cut was
>made, this much for the science - this much for grandma.
> Were I to stumble over a lunar, I think I'd place the cut
>differently - but that's a decision I'd have to be extremely
>lucky to ever get a chance at making.

Jeff, thanks, that is a much more accurate statement - neither of us knows
the whole story. The 20 gram specimen has nothing to do with the total given
for research. We simply don't know that either. The reason the amount is 20
g is because it is the type specimen and that is what is expected of a type
specimen - and frequently less. Why even accuse the finder of possible
stinginess at this point, with the barrage of test it is evident material has
already been through?

Of the 35 or so Lunar named meteorites, many have 1 gram-range type
specimens. This person has given up nearly 50 grams of Lunar material we can be
pretty sure. And so far hasn't opted to commercialize any! I would think we
shouldn't go about accusing them of unsurpassed stinginess!! What do you think
the owner (US Gov't) of the second biggest Moon rock of 11.7 Kg would say if
we asked they cut it up and tell everyone right away about it, just to be sure
enough was there to go around so no one would tell them they are stingy?
Can we let them decide what research proposals are worthy? This is why I
posted my response. The fact remains that this is the largest Lunar rock known on
the planet, and is only lightly weathered, and apparantly has a nice fusion
crust. There is something to be said about complete stones, if only their
meteoritical beauty, their curves, orientation, their textures, maybe even flow
lines. In this case the size alone is a big question and maintaining the
stone as true to original may actually be the best move science could hope for
in preparation for future study...It has made it 4.4 Billion years (?) so
far. But how did it stay together and make it from Moon to Earth? That's an
interesting question...Let's wait more than an instant before insulting the
finder. Possession is everything, whoever has the meteorites, makes the
rules...and as long as they are in a good mood, things usually go well. Of what
use is a groundless insult in a public forum (probably) without their
knowledge? Rather than expressing your hope you are wrong, our shared awe of Lunar
material, wouldn't it be more useful to express a little apology if the finder
happens to be listening.
PS - I hope you do find a massive Lunar and do get to make that decision!
Saludos, Doug