[meteorite-list] Re: creationism

From: Marc Fries <m.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun May 15 19:55:33 2005

> I read with interest your comments displaying your obvious
> disinclination to accept that the "other side" has as much merit as yours.
>
> I am neither unintelligent nor a redneck. I happen to believe in
creationism and the literal inerrancy of the bible, yet I am a scientist
and researcher who believes in the scientific method nearly all the
time.

> My side's view is actually simple. I accept the scientific method as
long as it does not conflict with God's word. God's word trumps man's
logic. Otherwise, I am perfectly happy to believe science when it does
not conclict with God's word.

> Ron Bude, M.D.
> Professor of Radiolgy
> University of Michigan Medical Center

> Electronic Mail is not secure, may not be read every day, and should not
be used for urgent or sensitive issues.

Howdy

   Ok, then here's a question for you - who wrote the Bible?

   The answer is direct and straightforward - men.

   Who wrote the world around you?

   That answer is equally straightforward - God. (In whichever
incantation you may choose to accept)

   When the word of God, written in the rocks and sky around you, is in
conflict with a book written by men, which should you choose to
believe?

   The Bible is not a science textbook. It was written by men with an
understanding of the physical world that today is surpassed by your
average third grader. It is not surprising that, in their attempts to
explain their physical surroundings, they failed badly. The Bible also
does not mention electricity, quantum dynamics, medicine, and does not
manage to explain such mundane items as why the wind blows or the sun
rises and sets.
   That's not what it's for. It is a spiritual manual that lays out a
moral code to live by, and in that sense it does just fine. By the same
token, science textbooks do not explain spiritual matters, and when they
try to they also fail badly.

   The "other side" has no merit. They are trying to supercede science
with superstition, plain and simple. Even worse, they go a step beyond
that and try to program school children with their viewpoint. Science is
under assault here, and the stakes are nothing short of our nation's
future.

Cheers,
MDF

p.s. I didn't call you or anyone else an unintelligent redneck. For the
record, you can lump my family and probably myself under the "redneck"
label, and that's just fine by me.

--
Marc Fries
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Carnegie Institution of Washington
Geophysical Laboratory
5251 Broad Branch Rd. NW
Washington, DC 20015
PH:  202 478 7970
FAX: 202 478 8901
-----
I urge you to show your support to American servicemen and servicewomen
currently serving in harm's way by donating items they personally request
at:
http://www.anysoldier.com
(This is not an endorsement by the Geophysical Laboratory or the Carnegie
Institution.)