[meteorite-list] Chondrule Formation vs Chondrule Conglomerate

From: Marc Fries <m.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat May 14 08:58:29 2005

Howdy

   My impression upon seeing this meteorite isn't that it necessarily
accreted quickly, but that it accreted in an environment that lacked
smaller particles. With no small bits scattered about, there was no
material to make up the typical matrix. Alternatively, even if it
accreted quickly in a "typical" environment, it would have gathered up
fine-grained bits and formed a matrix anyway. How you'd accrete a
meteorite in a region devoid of tiny bits is beyond me, though.
Perhaps a high velocity gas component swept out all the smaller
particles before accretion?
   This is a spectacular meteorite! Are there are plans afoot to register
it with some sort of special descriptor, like conglomerate or
matrix-free or something?

Cheers,
MDF

--
Marc Fries
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Carnegie Institution of Washington
Geophysical Laboratory
5251 Broad Branch Rd. NW
Washington, DC 20015
PH:  202 478 7970
FAX: 202 478 8901
-----
I urge you to show your support to American servicemen and servicewomen
currently serving in harm's way by donating items they personally request
at:
http://www.anysoldier.com
(This is not an endorsement by the Geophysical Laboratory or the Carnegie
Institution.)