[meteorite-list] Kansas Legal Debate: Creation, Evolution and Intelligent Design

From: Jamie <jme-ekholm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu May 12 22:48:07 2005

I don't see how intelligent design can be put in the same category as
creationism. My major in college was biology and I took an evolution course
or two. I've seen some of the creationist's "theories" and I believe that
science can disprove all of them quite easily.

It was when I took cell biology that I first heard about intelligent design.
My professor talked about the evolution of a single celled animal. He gave
the odds of all the different cell parts coming together to form a cell.
You need protein A, B, C and D to come together to form perhaps the
endoplasmic reticulum. If they don't come together correctly you have no
ER, but then what good is the ER without a nucleus or the cell wall etc.
Everything needs to come together to form a cell. Anyway, the odds of this
occurring were very low. It would take longer than the age of the universe.
Hence the idea of intelligent design.

To me, intelligent design helps bridge the gap with those that believe in
God or a creator and who also see evolution as a scientific fact.

Jamie