[meteorite-list] Ad - Last Piece Haag Catalog, New C.C.!

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 9 19:21:31 2005

Dear List Members,

Just quick not to let you know about a key specimen ending in tonight's
auction. I am also listing a new CV3 with odd properties.

TSAREV Meteorite from the Robert Haag Collection 978g, worth at least two to
three times the amount it is at now. This is the last piece I have
available that is listed in the Haag Collection Catalog:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6529718731

Brand New NWA 2636 CV3 Meteorite with Diamonds?

Introducing Northwest Africa 2636, a rare CV3, S1, W3 Carbonaceous Chondrite
found in the Sahara desert in 2004. A Total Known Weight (TKW) of only 51
grams is recorded for this find. The chondrules are much smaller and it is
many times harder than any other CV3 I have dealt with leading me to believe
it is not paired with any of our other finds. I finally got around to
preparing specimens when it came time to make this one ready. I thought it
would be a piece of cake to prepare, boy was I wrong! Immediately a diamond
blade was striped of its cutting media when I tried to run it through. I
thought it must have been a defective blade so I loaded up another one. I
was more careful the second time and it dulled the second blade as quick as
a Ureilite would have. When it came time to polish, it dulled the 180-grit
diamond lap I was using to about 1,200-grit judging from the final finish.
This meteorite is every bit as tough as some Ureilites I have dealt with
leading me to believe that there might be diamonds imbedded in the matrix. A
few have polishing scratches from a very hard material being plucked during
polishing, possibly microscopic diamonds. I photographed the specimens so
that if there are any scratches they are visible in the images. Needless to
say, this was one very expensive meteorite to prepare. After the type
specimen deposit and cutting loses there will only be 22.3 grams available
for collectors. I priced these examples to try to recover most of my
preparation and laboratory costs. The low TKW and the possibility that this
CV3 may contain microscopic diamonds should be enough to justify the asking
price. This specimen comes with an identification card from The Hup?
Collection.

To see the 12 slices total that will ever be available click on the link
below and go to "Go see all current items for sale by this member" and check
out NWA 2636 on page 3 of 3:
http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=raremeteorites

Thank you for looking and if you are bidding, good luck.

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection
Team LunarRock
IMCA 2185