[meteorite-list] Meteorites with craters

From: star-bits_at_comcast.net <star-bits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu May 5 12:37:01 2005

<Way back on April 7, Bob asked:

>I wonder if there have been "impact craters" found on
> any other iron meteorites?

4 May Frank wrote:

<Yesterday I was browsing through Nininger's "Out of the Sky" and found one
that I don't believe has been mentioned. On Plate XXXIV, photo 4 shows a
picture of an Estherville pellet with a small, perfectly shaped crater.>

      You can add Campo del Cielo to the list of iron meteorites with craters also. I have a 79 kg campo with a 1 cm crater on it. You can see it at the following URL.

<http://www.star-bits.com/campocrater.htm>

      I think it is impressive that after all these centuries you can still find such detailed surface features on a campo.

--
Eric Olson
ELKK Meteorites