[meteorite-list] Did Life Arrive Before the Solar System EvenFormed?

From: Marc Fries <m.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu May 5 10:49:49 2005

Howdy All

   I don't believe that interplanetary, much less interstellar, transport
of viable microorganisms is possible. Keep in mind that extremophiles
are called that because they live in environments that are extreme
compared to what we live in. They are still limited in what they can
withstand, and all of them still require water, an atmosphere, and
protection from radiation. Placing them aboard a rock in the cold,
radiation-hard, vacuum of space doesn't provide any of these (except
for UV protection, and only if it's large enough). As a demonstration
of this, try placing any type of extremophile - psychrophile,
thermophile, radiodurans, etc - in the low-vacuum imaging chamber of an
environmental SEM. You get a picture of the cellular wreckage that
results.
    I'd disagree with your assertion that UV radiation is a rarity in
space, and cosmic radiation is rarer. UV is common and intense via
the sun, and the residency time of a particle in space is very long.
It is reasonable to expect a high cosmic ray flux and much higher UV
flux for the thousands of years that even an interplanetary tranfer
would require. (and the highest known tolerable temperature for
microbes is something like 140 C, not 600)
    And even if we set all that aside and say that
interplanetary/interstellar transport is possible, it still doesn't
answer the question of how life arose. It just moves the starting
point somewhere else and muddies up the in-between with an impossible
transport mechanism. I think it is likely that life arises just about
every time that the conditions are right. Evidence suggests that life
arose on Earth very soon after environmental conditions became
tenable; it is reasonable to expect that such a thing happens
elsewhere. It is entirely concievable to me that life arose on Mars
and has retreated deep into the crust, and that life exists on Europa.
 I don't think that transport is necessary for this to occur.
   Thanks for the good debate!

Cheers,
MDF

--
Marc Fries
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Carnegie Institution of Washington
Geophysical Laboratory
5251 Broad Branch Rd. NW
Washington, DC 20015
PH:  202 478 7970
FAX: 202 478 8901
-----
I urge you to show your support to American servicemen and servicewomen
currently serving in harm's way by donating items they personally request
at:
http://www.anysoldier.com
(This is not an endorsement by the Geophysical Laboratory or the Carnegie
Institution.)